Healthy Rosemary Lemon Margaritas
A delicious cocktail for people who actually need to get up in the morning
In case you hadn’t heard, Tequila is the kombucha of liquors. Studies show it can lower blood-sugar levels and help curb appetite in mice. This is pretty much the exact opposite of what happens when you drink wine, which causes an immediate surge in blood sugar, leading many people to dive straight into a pile of tortilla chips 5 minutes into their second glass of Chardonnay. Unlike many other spirits, Tequila is also low in congeners, so it is less likely to cause a hangover.
Traditional margaritas are loaded with sugar, so I decided to try making a healthier margarita using stevia. And it worked! Lemon and rosemary enhance the flavor, so you barely miss all that sugar. The recipe is simple, delicious and healthy enough to serve to a gaggle of jaded New Yorkers still wearing their Lululemons. Cheers to partying like a grown up…
Lemon Rosemary Margarita Ingredients
- 3 ounces 100% silver Patron tequila
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, sliver of zest
- Stevia thyme simple syrup
- Splash of lemon Polar Seltzer
- Salt for rimming
Stevia simple syrup
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon stevia
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
Lemon Rosemary Margarita Recipe
1. To make the simple syrup, combine water, stevia and thyme in a small sauce pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat off and let sit for 20 minutes to steep the thyme. Strain into a jar with a sieve and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
2. If using salt, moisten the edges of glasses with lemon then dip in sea salt.
RELATED: The Best Treatments for Puffy Eyes
3. Combine 3 ounces tequila, juice of 1/2 lemon, and 3 tablespoons simple syrup in a shaker or mason jar and shake. Strain into ice filled glasses. Top with a splash of lemon seltzer and garnish with a edible flowers and a sprig of fresh thyme.